Do you know about the S4? Want to be a part of it? Read on!
Last week I mentioned something fun I wanted to do. I wanted to write secret short stories and send them to those out to readers. Because I tend fall a bit on the reckless side of the line, I have come up with a secret society for those readers!
The S4 or Secret Short Story Society will start in August of 2018. Depending on how many people participate, I plan to have a monthly mailing of one secret short story to each reader. These stories will NOT appear on my blog.
In the beginning stages, I am planning on sending a DIFFERENT short story to each reader, however, you will be able to 'collect' all of the stories should you stay in the society long enough. If I write 3 stories in August, you will have all 3 if you remain a member until October. HOWEVER, if more people join, there will be more stories to collect.
Will my plan stay exactly like this? Probably not. If this grows, as I hope it will, the idea that one writer (whose day job is, unfortunately, not writing) can produce immense quantities of short stories each month does not sound doable. There may come a time when I can only give the society one or two stories each month.
The up side is, the more people that join, the more likely the society members will receive nifty little extras each month. It may also allow me to publish a yearly collection of the stories in book form which you will automatically get!
And it all comes down to capitalistic nonsense, doesn't it? In order to make this society a reality, I will have to charge a fee each month. I do realize this may limit my audience as those who do not know my work may not want to spend their hard earned cash on this.
Hey, we all have to start somewhere. If you enjoy my work and want to get in on the ground floor of S4, you have to let me know! Sharing the glory of my work is also immensely appreciated as it will allow me to bring you more stories!
S4 will start at $5/month with your story being shipped the last week of each month. The more you are willing to pay, the more stuff I will give you. I want to tailor the items to the theme of the story, but you may also just get fun little treats (or tricks, I am not above putting a lime green plastic spider in your shipment).
Some of you are saying "Tasha, you are seriously an unknown author who offers her work for free. Why in heck would you think ANYONE would pay for your work?"
I've thought about this for some time now and here's what I've concluded.
1) I do think some people like my work and want to see me succeed on a bigger stage. This will help me get there.
2) Some people just like getting random stuff in the mail (maybe not spiders) and might throw me $5 to see what they get. (Spoiler: it'll get you a short story)
3) If I make this fun enough, it may attract others to my stories, hence helping me find more time to write.
4) It works for podcasters, who also offer their work free and people seem to like giving them money.
5) There will always be an enabler who wants to feed my Zebra Pen and Field Notes addiction.
6) I have THE CUTEST senior dog and your funds will probably end up getting him treats.
7) The worst that happens is NO ONE SIGNS UP. That means I'm off the hook when it comes to writing more than one story! I LOSE NOTHING!! (although I will need to find a use for all these plastic spiders)
If you do want to sign up, how can you? I've got numerous ways!
Ko-Fi (must be $5 minimum)
Patreon (the higher your monthly contribution, the more you get)
Paypal (please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up this option. DO NOT send money to that email address as it is not my official PayPal address.)
August is a bit of a trial month for all of us. After August, anyone who wants that month's story will need to sign up before the 15th of each month. If you choose any of the automatic payments, you'll be all set! I hope S4 will be fun for everyone!
Where I tell you things you may want to know.